You might have gone to a shop or dealership and paid much less for an oil change than in another shop or dealership. If so, you most likely receive an oil change service or car service instead of an oil change if you paid more. Many shops provide the more expensive oil change service to ensure your vehicle is safe and has no upcoming issues. Maxi Auto Repair and Service in Jacksonville FL provides oil change services instead of just oil changes, as we care about your safety.
What is an Oil Change?
One of the most important forms of vehicle maintenance, the oil change includes completely draining the oil, replacing it, and replacing the oil filter. It is imperative that you change the oil in your vehicle as recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer. Oil gets dirty after time and loses its lubricating properties. If you still use conventional oil, it breaks down after three months or 30,000 miles. Synthetic lasts longer in that it doesn’t break down, but it still gets filthy.
Oil not only provides lubrication for the moving parts inside the engine, but it also helps keep the engine cool. If you lose oil pressure in your vehicle, shut it off immediately – you may have an oil leak or a problem with the crankshaft or crankshaft bearings. Either way, not enough oil is going through the engine, and it could seize up.
How to Check Your Vehicle’s Oil
You can check your vehicle’s oil yourself if you ever notice an oil leak or suspect it might be low. In fact, it’s a good habit to check the oil at least once every month. It takes only a minute to check the oil, and it’s easy:
- Open the hood and look for the oil dipstick. It is located on the side of the engine (the front is where the belts and pulleys are located).
- Make sure the vehicle is cool so the oil has time to drip back into the oil pan. Pull the dipstick out and wipe it off.
- Push the dipstick back in, making sure it goes all the way in.
- Pull the dipstick out again. Check the oil level. The dipstick has markings that either say “Full” or hatch marks. If it doesn’t say “Full,” it should be at the top of the hatch marks.
What's an Oil Change Service?
An oil change service or car service always includes an oil change. However, your experienced auto technician provides more during an oil change service – it includes a safety check. Many shops will also top off all the fluids as necessary.
At Maxi Auto Repair and Service in Jacksonville FL, we provide an extensive check with our oil service. We check anything that is visible to ensure your vehicle is safe, including:
- Tires for air pressure and tread wear, including uneven tread wear.
- Oil leaks.
- Fluid leaks, including power steering, transmission, coolant, and brake fluid leaks.
- Belts and hoses.
- Exhaust, mufflers and catalytic converters (visual inspection only).
- Lights and indicators.
- Wipers and wiper motor.
- Dash warning lights to ensure they are operating properly.
- Windows and mirrors for proper operation.
- HVAC system.
- Seats and seat adjusters.
- Door locks.
- Visible wiring.
- Clutch, where applicable.
- Engine mounts.
- Corrosion and other structural issues.
- Rack / steering gearbox.
Contact Maxi Auto Repair and Service in Jacksonville FL
When you need an oil change service, contact Maxi Auto Repair and Service at our Hodges location in Jacksonville for an appointment by calling (844) 426-2861. We are conveniently located at 13700 Fario Road, Jacksonville, FL. 32224.